Welcome and Opening Remarks
Theresa Y. Singleton, Vice President and Community Affairs Officer Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
Introduction of Opening Speaker
Jim Peffley, Executive Vice President, Lending and Eastern Region Partnerships Cinnaire
Governor Jack Markell State of Delaware
Initial Organizational Capacity Building
During this session, participants will hear examples and case studies of community development organizations that have built internal capacity and scaled efforts. This session will address ways organizations can identify appropriate funding and capital resources, build professional staff, and align their mission and programs. These steps can help make organizations more attractive to funders and can help them become better equipped to handle community development investments.
- Bridget Phifer, Executive Director, Parkside Business & Community in Partnership, Inc. - Presentation
- Paul L. McEvily, Associate Executive Director, Interfaith Neighbors, Inc. - Presentation
- Moderator: Raheemah M. Jabbar-Bey, Assistant Professor, School of Public Policy and Administration, University of Delaware
Maintaining Momentum from Planning to Implementation
Panelists will describe strategies for transitioning revitalization efforts from the planning stage to the implementation stage. Presenters will cover topics that include transitional planning, project financing through public and private philanthropic funds, and succession planning. Participants will also hear about barriers that community development organizations have encountered in the implementation process and learn about strategies for addressing these challenges.
- Pilar Hogan Closky, Executive Director, Saint Joseph’s Carpenter Society - Presentation
- Richard Kisner, Executive Director, Columbia County Housing and Redevelopment Authorities, and President, Columbia County Housing Corporation - Presentation
- Raphael Kasen, Community Building Specialist, Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey - Presentation
- Moderator: Karen B. Speakman, Deputy Director, National Council on Agricultural Life and Labor
Introduction of the Keynote Speaker
David Buches, Community Investment Manager, Federal Home Loan Bank of Pittsburgh
Paul Weech, President and Chief Executive Officer, NeighborWorks America - Presentation
Aligning Priorities Across the Public, Private, and Nonprofit Sectors
How can partners better align interests and resources strategically for community revitalization? In this panel, speakers will address opportunities to move work out of silos and toward greater collaboration among sectors. Participants will hear about the early and middle stages of a federally designated Promise Zone, an economic development initiative in Detroit that has created a unique structure for real estate development, opportunities to align health and community development, and current efforts from the Delaware State Housing Authority to work with community development organizations and partners on initiatives.
- Owen Franklin, Director, Philadelphia Promise Zone Initiative, City of Philadelphia
- Rick Laber, Executive Vice President, Cinnaire, and President, Develop Michigan, Inc.
- Brian M. Rahmer, Director, Community Health Engagement, Christiana Care Health System
- Anas Ben Addi, Director, Delaware State Housing Authority
- Moderator: Paul F. Calistro, Executive Director, West End Neighborhood House, and President and Chief Executive Officer, Cornerstone West Community Development Corporation
Jane C.W. Vincent, Region III Regional Administrator U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Overview of the Delaware Community Development Network
Patricia Kelleher, Executive Director, Delaware Housing Coalition
Advancing the Issue (Small Working Groups)
During this session, participants will engage in small groups to discuss the strategies presented throughout the day and the opportunities to apply these strategies to existing and emerging community revitalization projects. At the end of the session, each group will report recommendations for moving forward as a collective community development body.
- Moderator: Valerie Ann Miller, Director of Programs and Planning, Milford Housing Development Corporation
- Closing Charge: Patricia Kelleher
Mark S. McDaniel, President and Chief Executive Officer, Cinnaire