Theresa Y. Singleton, Interim Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs and Community Affairs Officer, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
Patrick T. Harker, President and Chief Executive Officer Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
Extending Apprenticeship Models
Panelists will explore youth apprenticeship models, which combine classroom- based vocational education, structured work-based learning, and paid work to help young people learn new occupational skills. Hear the latest research on the effectiveness of apprenticeships, learn more about promising approaches being implemented in communities across the country, and find new ways to finance apprenticeship programs in your community.
- Cheryl Feldman, Executive Director District 1199C Training & Upgrading Fund - Presentation
- Robert I. Lerman, Professor Emeritus, Department of Economics American University, and Institute Fellow, Urban Institute - Presentation
- Brian Rauschenbach, Youth Apprenticeship Consultant Apprenticeship Carolina - Presentation
- Moderator: Mark Edwards, President and Chief Executive Officer Philadelphia Works, Inc.
Lunch and Keynote
John V. Ladd, Administrator, Office of Apprenticeship and Training Administration U.S. Department of Labor - Presentation
Advancing Career Pathways Through Other Employer-Led Models
The increase in the number of “disconnected” youths — those who are not working or who are not in school — is a growing and multifaceted challenge in many communities and is a focus in the new Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). This panel will explore strategies to reengage with disconnected youths through education and by providing greater career pathways.
- Angie Kamath, Executive Director of Social Ventures and Innovation Per Scholas - Presentation
- Simran Sidhu, Executive Director YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School - Presentation
- Michael R. Wiggins, Executive Vice President of Human Resources Emeritus Southwire Company - Presentation
- Moderator: John F. Clayton Jr., Manager of Diversity, Inclusion & Workforce Initiatives, Independence Blue Cross
Moving Forward: Bridging the Gap and Extending Opportunities for Our Youth
This final panel will reflect on the strategies and models shared and discuss the policies and practices needed to close the youth employment gap. These national and local experts will consider the additional information needed to better inform policy and recommend new partnerships and resources to extend greater opportunities for young people.
- Scott Cheney, Policy Director for Pensions, Workforce and Economic Development, U.S. Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee
- Allison Gerber, Senior Associate of Workforce Development, The Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Farhana Hossain, Research Associate, MDRC
- Stefani Pashman, Chief Executive Officer, Three Rivers Workforce Investment Board
- Moderator: Daniel Fitzpatrick, President of Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware, Head of National Mid-Corporate and Industry Verticals
Paul Kaboth, Vice President and Community Development Officer Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland