Selected communities will participate to frame, contextualize, and organize around small business equity in their community.
Participation is a 10-month engagement, from June 2021 to March 2022, in four core areas: (1) racial equity training, (2) community and economic development training, (3) technical assistance, and (4) development of a racial equity plan.
The 2021 Program will focus on centering racial equity in small business support to build strong regional economies. Trainings will include:
- Racial equity in the COVID-19 pandemic recovery
- Financing and access to quality credit for small business owners of color
- Building strong, equitable commercial corridors and regional economies
- Small business ownership as household and community wealth building
- Supporting transitions from sole proprietorships to community employers
Each community cohort will be led by a community foundation committed to building cross-sector partnerships to support minority-owned small businesses. Cohorts will meet biweekly for the first five months of the program and then meet on an as-needed basis to participate in technical assistance and develop their racial equity plan for the second half of the program.