Community Development Economic Advisor
Phone: (215) 574-3819
Fax: (215) 574-2512
Send an e-mail to Lei Ding
Lei Ding joined the CDS&E Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia in July 2013. He brings to the department an extensive background in housing and mortgage finance, community and economic development, and housing policy. As part of CDS&E, Ding conducts original research and manages research projects in the areas of housing and community development. Prior to joining the Philadelphia Fed, he was a faculty member in the Department of Urban Studies and Planning at Wayne State University. Previously, Ding was a senior research associate at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He has a Ph.D. in public policy from George Mason University and an M.S. and a B.S. from Tsinghua University.
Fields of Interest
- Housing and urban policy
- Community and economic development
- Gentrification and neighborhood change
- Access to credit for LMI population
Articles in Refereed Journals
- "Gentrification and Residential Mobility in Philadelphia" (with Jackelyn Hwang and Eileen Divringi), Regional Science and Urban Economics, 61, November 2016, 38–51 (DOI: 10.1016/j.regsciurbeco.2016.09.004).
- "The Impact of the Home Valuation Code of Conduct on Appraisal and Mortgage Outcomes" (with Leonard Nakamura), Real Estate Economics, 44(3), 2016, 658–690 (DOI: 10.1111/1540-6229.12120).
- "Information Externalities and Residential Mortgage Lending in the Hardest Hit Housing Market: The Case of Detroit," Cityscape, 16(1), 2014, 233–252.
- "Servicer and Spatial Heterogeneity of Loss Mitigation Practices in Soft Housing Markets," Housing Policy Debate, 23(3), 2013, 521–542.
- "The Impact of Federal Preemption of State Antipredatory Lending Laws on the Foreclosure Crisis" (with Roberto G. Quercia, Carolina Reid, and Alan M. White), Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 31(2), 2012, 367–387.
- “Risky Borrowers or Risky Mortgages: Disaggregating Effects Using Propensity Score Models” (with Roberto G. Quercia, Wei Li, and Janneke Ratcliffe), Journal of Real Estate Research, 33(2), 2011, 245–277.
- “Loan Modification and Redefault Risk: An Examination of Short-Term Impacts” (with Roberto G. Quercia), Cityscape, 11(3), 2009,171–194.
- “Post-Purchase Counseling and Default Resolutions Among Low- and Moderate-Income Borrowers” (with Roberto G. Quercia and Janneke Ratcliffe), Journal of Real Estate Research, 30(3), 2008, 315–344.
Edited Book and Journal
- Shared Prosperity in America’s Communities (with Susan Wachter), Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2016.
- Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research: Special Issue on Gentrification and Neighborhood Change (with Ingrid Ellen), 2016.
Select Working Papers